5 Reasons Why MacBook Fan is So Loud
When it comes to aesthetics and beauty, the MacBook has no flaws in this regard. It has a rather slim body and stylish design with powerful hardware that can handle your daily tasks without any issues.
However, putting powerful hardware in such a small case can cause problems, especially in terms of cooling. A loud fan that runs nonstop 24 hours a day is a major sign of serious malfunction.
If you’re doing tasks on your MacBook that require increased system performance, such as video processing or playing graphics-intensive computer games, your MacBook fan will run faster because it needs to provide more airflow to cool the system. In addition, the volume, and therefore the intensity of the fan, is also affected by the temperature of the air in the room.
But there are times when the increased volume of the fan is not related to the busyness of the system or weather conditions. In these cases, the tips described below will help you.
To make sure that the fan does not work due to any malfunctions, you need to do some actions: rebooting or resetting the controller that controls the system (the temperature in the system) will help in case of an error. If an error has occurred, the fan will operate normally after rebooting.
What Makes the Mac Fan Being so Loud
In most cases, your laptop’s fan is loud due to overheating, causing it to spin at a higher speed and therefore making more noise. Let’s take a look at some of the most common reasons why your MacBook fan is so loud and how to reduce mac fan noise:
- Dirty fans and clogged vents. Dust and other debris often accumulate around cooling fans. These obstruct the airflow inside and clog the ventilation holes. Dust and other particles accumulate over time, and eventually, the unit needs a good cleaning. It is highly recommended that you clean your MacBook from time to time to prevent all sorts of damage and minimize the volume of the cooling fan. After all, all the dust and particles accumulated on the cooling fans can break it.
- Software and limited resources. Although the processing power of laptops enables you to run several resource-intensive applications, multitasking, which involves running many applications or programs simultaneously, can put excessive strain on your laptop’s hardware. This causes it to overheat. This almost always causes the cooling fan on your gaming laptop to overload and become very noisy.
- An upcoming hard drive failure. There are also cases where the noise is not coming from the fans but from the hard drive. If you hear strange noises in the hard drive area, it is better to get to the safe side and back up your data. If that is really the cause of the noise, you will end up hearing a louder sound. The only way out of this situation is to replace the hard drive with a new one.
- The processor is operating too hard. Sometimes this is completely out of the user’s control. There may be a program on your laptop that consumes too many CPU resources, which is responsible for the instant heat and noise of the hardware. You can install special software that will be responsible for the temperature of your processor. This will improve the overall quality of your device.
- Calming the laptop. You can use a special cooling solution that is applied to the processor. It contributes to more efficient removal of heat from the processor. It is important to remember that in most cases the laptop cannot function fully without this cooling solution. Now there will be no overheating inside your laptop as it has a cooling fan, a solution, and a heatsink. These three components are the best combination to solve your MacBook overheating issue.
If your MacBook is running all the time, the best way to keep yourself safe from problems is preventive maintenance. This can include dust and dirt removal, and periodic diagnostics by a specialist ( it is recommended twice a year). It’s also a good idea to put your MacBook in places where there are no obstacles to airflow.
How to Keep a MacBook from Overheating
If your laptop’s fans still operate loudly even after cleaning, they’re probably quite overpowered. Software problems can also be the reason why the fans get so loud – maybe something isn’t working properly or your hardware isn’t powerful enough to run the software you’re using. This is where a system upgrade or replacement of some parts with new ones can help.
Older, less powerful versions often have a lot of trouble handling modern video games, as well as other multitasking applications such as multimedia editing software, etc.
If none of the described methods helped you, then the problem is much deeper. In such a case, it is recommended to take your laptop to professional technicians and an official service provider. In most cases, technicians can diagnose a hardware failure and you will need to replace or repair the fan. The problem may be related to an unknown component failure that causes excessive heat accumulation. In any case, it is better to take your laptop to the service as soon as possible to avoid irreversible damage and further malfunction.
Learn more about MacBook fan noise and ways to fix the situation in this article.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get The Free Collection of 60+ Big Data & Data Science Cheat Sheets. Stay up-to-date with the latest Big Data news.