How You Can Apply Big Data to Risk Management
Utilization of big data has the potential to improve your organization’s risk management strategies. It allows you to adopt a predictive approach which increases the accuracy of threat detections. As a result, you will institute mitigation mechanisms before the threats affect the normal operations of your organization.
If you’ve not adopted big data analytics in your organization, then you’re missing on its incredible benefits. In fact, you’re likely to lose your competitiveness since a majority of your competitors are harnessing the benefits of the big data to assess and mitigate their risks, thus enhancing customer satisfaction.
What’s Big Data?
This refers to structured and unstructured data that your organization collects during its daily operations. It may include digital information collected from public sources or data that have been directly obtained from the customers. It has three key features:
- Volume. It involves a high volume of data
- Velocity. Big data is received at a swift rate
- Variety. The information is usually in different forms including structured, semi-structured, and unstructured forms
Due to the large volumes and high variety of big data, you require to have sophisticated tools to analyze it accurately. However, the data will significantly benefit your business, and you can be confident that it’ll be worth every minute you spend on it.
The Relationship between Big Data and Risk Management
Big data helps in the identification of financial risks that have the potential to impact your business negatively. The evolution of technology has increased the risk of cyber-attacks, which makes it necessary to devise a framework to detect the threats before they destroy crucial aspects of your business. Using big data is one of the surest ways to predict the security future of your company.
The predictive nature of this approach offers a platform to analyze all the cyber threats in real time and suggest possible mitigation strategy. When you use big data, you’ll get more accurate findings since it’ll simulate data from different platforms.
Applying Big Data in Risk Management
There are several ways that you can use big data to transform the security systems for your organization. The applications include:
- Prevention of Fraud. The use of predictive analysis is an excellent way of detecting money laundering and other fraudulent activities. The large volume of data is obtained from different sources which guarantee close monitoring of activities in different platforms. This increases the probability of detecting plans to engage in fraud before it happens. The big data analytic approach has been adopted by large organizations, governments, and other lending agencies to detect fraud
- Management of Risks Associated with Third Parties. If you decide to engage vendors in your business, you should be careful since they can compromise the integrity of your security systems. It’s advisable that you use big data analytics to manage the operational and reputational risks linked to their involvement in your business. You’ll use this approach to closely monitor the operations of the vendors, which eases your assessment process on their ability to protect your private data. Even after using this approach, it’s necessary that you institute measures to curb third-party risks. They may include strong passwords, two-factor authentication, and firewalls
- Crucial in Detecting Churn Rate for Organizations. Loss of customers is painful for any entrepreneur! As such, you should use all the metrics to measure the probability of losing your clients to a competitor. One of the surest techniques involves the use of big data analysis. When you monitor the behavior of your clients, you’ll quickly notice discontentment and complaints which will directly influence your decision-making process. Always ensure that you address all the complaints of the customers. This will lead to improved customer satisfaction, reduced churn rate, and enhanced overall productivity
- Helps in Credit Management. Credit is a high risk that has the potential to paralyze the operation of your business. As such, it’s paramount that you manage the risk by analyzing big data to determine the previous economic history of your organization. This approach will enable you to assess the payment patterns, airtime purchases, and any other factor that may indicate possible loopholes of money misuse. Once you use this technique, you’ll experience incredible financial discipline in your organization.
- Managing Commercial Loans. Before issuing any loan to a client, financial institutions evaluate the ability of the individual to repay. To improve the accuracy of the predictions, these institutions can use big data analytics to analyze the spending patterns of the potential customer. If you realize that any party is likely to defect a loan, you should never hesitate to decline the application!
Big data is a crucial tool in risk management since it helps in evaluating data from different sources. The approach enables your organization to monitor, detect, and mitigate all the risks that can affect the operations negatively.
If your organization is yet to adopt the technique, then you should keenly read this article to get the benefits that you’re missing.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get The Free Collection of 60+ Big Data & Data Science Cheat Sheets. Stay up-to-date with the latest Big Data news.